Friday, February 4, 2011

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THAT SNOWPLOW SPEEDING TOWARDS OUR CAR...THAT'S JUST THE WAY THEY BUMP YOUR CAR LOOSE

I have always appreciated the beauty of God's artistry following a snowfall in Michigan.  Looking out of my window I am witness to the majesty of nature, as both the snowy expanse of land and the snow-covered tree limbs glisten brightly in the winter sun. I am thankful, too, for the warmth from my fireplace on days such as these, and I am enchanted by the charming picture created by family and pups, as they gather close to its hearth. All is tranquil and calm, and I am filled with serenity...which is all negated should the need to drive anywhere in this weather, happen to arise. Even for a seasoned driver, such as myself, driving anywhere after a Michigan snowstorm can prove to be quite a challenge.  This point was illustrated quite clearly the other day when, following a temporary loss of sanity, I decided to venture out with my youngest daughter and her friend to go to a nearby drugstore.
The first indication that it might not be a great idea to brave the elements was when I got stuck pulling out of my driveway.  I am a Michigander though, and no real Michigander is ever faint of heart when it comes to winter driving.  True to my heritage I scoffed in the face of danger, and, after rocking my car back and forth until I had burned most of the rubber off of my tires, I soldiered on.   I made it to the first corner.
Once again I found myself stuck in the snow, but after enlisting the aid of my daughter and her friend, Paige, we successfully negotiated our way out of the offending snowdrift.  All was well for the next two or three minutes when, once again, I found myself lodged firmly in a snowdrift while turning another corner.  This time things were looking rather bleak, until a kind young man came out of his house to help us. He graciously offered to shovel my rear tire out of the snow,  and then assist the girls in their efforts to push the car out.  While this all was transpiring the girls and I noticed a truck, with a snow plow on the front of it, clearing out a nearby street. 
When he had finished we saw him turn in our direction, and we happily watched as he approached our car to offer us aide.  Our joy began to change to bewilderment though, as we noted that his truck appeared to be accelerating the closer he came to our vehicle.
"Wow," Olivia said.  "It seems like he's coming down that hill pretty fast."
"Don't worry," said Paige. "He is just doing that to "bump" your car out."
I, myself, stood mesmerized as I marveled at the amazing driving abilities he must possess, which would allow for him to approach our car at such a high rate of speed, while still providing himself with enough time to stop just inches from my front bumper.   I was mistaken though.  I quickly discovered that rather than using the brakes to stop his vehicle he would be using the impact from hitting my car as his means for making a quick stop.
"Whoa dude!!! Son of a pup!"  the young man who was shoveling my rear tire yelled out, as my car lurched towards him. (note to reader...please insert more colorful language in place of the word pup to get a more accurate description of what the young man actually said.) 
The young man driving the truck now leaped out of his vehicle, and laid his upper body across the top of my hood, in despair.
"Oh my God," he lamented. " I was trying to come and help you, but it was very icy on that incline, and I couldn't stop."
"Yes, we noticed that." I replied.  "I really appreciate your kindness in trying to help us though, and I am very sorry that it resulted in your hitting my car."  I meant both of these things sincerely.  I  did appreciate his kind gesture, and, even more so, I was really sorry that he had hit my car. I think the subtle irony may have been lost on him, though.
In any case, our car was freed once again, and the only damage that we incurred were some scratches and paint scuffs on the front of my bumper.
The plow driver then cleared a path out of my subdivision for us, and the other young man gave me further instructions.
"I want you to back up a little, and then go forward.  Don't stop for anything...not even to thank me again.  Just keep going."
"Okay, " I said, but then noticed a car coming in our direction. "What about that car though?  I don't want to get stuck again.  Do you think I should just hit it, and keep going?"
The young man leaned over to look down the road at the car.
"Oh....well that's my mother-in law," he said, and then paused to think about it. "Yeah, just go ahead and hit it if you have to."
Fortunately we managed to pass by each other without further incident.  Let this be a lesson to all of you who may someday find yourself driving in Michigan, following a snowstorm. You can't trust any of us; not even kindly snowplow drivers or your own son-in-law.

1 comment:

  1. Just love driving in Michigan during the winter.
    Warner

    ReplyDelete